If you have recently become engaged, congratulations! Now you’ve got to find a venue to host an engagement party.
Your three main options will typically be your own place, your parents’ place or a hired venue such as a restaurant or hall. Each has its benefits and drawbacks, find out what is best for you!
The pros of hosting an engagement party at your own home
- Control – Your home, your rules.
- Cost – This should be cheaper as you don’t have to hire a venue, but there might be other hidden costs like hiring extra chairs and tables for everyone. Hopefully, you can borrow these things off someone else.
- Travel – You don’t have to travel to or from the venue. You can start setting up days before and postpone cleaning until the next day.
The pros of hosting an engagement party at a parent’s house
- Space – If your parents are yet to downsize, there is a good chance they still own a bigger property than where you are living.
- Cost – If your parents (or your partner’s parents) are hosting, they might insist on helping to cover some of the expenses for it as well.
- Shared hosting duties – Your parents and family will feel more comfortable running the show so you can enjoy yourself.
The pros of hosting an engagement party at a venue
- No cooking! – It will be much easier for you to focus on enjoying the night if you’re not worrying about the food.
- No cleaning! – This is typically true of a restaurant, some halls might require you to leave it in the condition that you found it.
- Location – If you have friends and family all over the place, this might be a solution for finding a central spot that is equally inconvenient for everyone.
Now that we’ve discussed the benefits of each, what are the drawbacks?
The cons of hosting an engagement party at your own home
- Space – If you are living in an apartment or somewhere else that doesn’t fit many guests, you might not be able to fit everyone in here.
The cons of hosting an engagement party at a parent’s house
- Location – If you have moved away from your home town, or your partner’s parents live far away, this might be inconvenient for too many people to warrant hosting it here.
The cons of hosting an engagement party at venue
- Cost – First of all, the cost can vary greatly from venue to venue. There are all kinds of event and catering packages available, but if you want something nice, it’s probably going to cost you.
- Location – The location can really be a deal-breaker for people who live far away.