Keeping your home clean can seem like a daunting task if you do not keep on top of it. Keeping your home clean makes you feel better. It will also keep you and your family healthy. Here is how to keep your house clean in give or take 45-minutes per day.
Daily (45 minutes)This might look like a lot but these are all quick tasks.Challenge yourself to do all of these in 45 minutes.
- Make all beds-This will instantly make the room look put together.
- Do a load of washing-Do not let it build up. If it is there do it. You only have to put it in the machine.
- Do a daily 15-minute tidy-Set a timer for 15 minutes and take time to tackle any clutter or messes you might see. You will be surprised how much you can get done in 15 minutes.
- Take out rubbish-Do not leave rubbish to fester
- Wash dishes/empty and load dishwasher– Dishes do not have to take long. If you leave them sitting out for days at a time it will start to smell and will be a huge task if you leave it too long.
- Wipe surfaces-This gets rid of crumbs and germs.
- Sweep if necessary-If you have a robot vac that can do this for you then that’s even better.
- Quick clean of toilet seat and bowl– This one is obvious. Nobody wants to sit on a dirty toilet.
- Quickly wipe mirrors–Get rid of that dust and toothpaste grime.
- Put away washing-Don’t leave washing on your line or clothes-horse for days at a time if it doesn’t have to be.
- Clean kitty litter if relevant:- There’s nothing worse than going to someone’s house and smelling dirty kitty litter. Keep it clean to ensure your house doesn’t stink
- If you use the stove wipe it down– Don’t let oil and food bake into your stove top. You will thank me later!
Weekly (2 hours)
You can spend your days off doing this all in 1 day or you can do a few tasks per day if that makes it easier. You don’t have to pay a cleaner to do it for you. You can do these easily on the morning of a day off.
- Thoroughly Vacuum-This means you also need to vacuum under furniture and under couch cushions if you want to keep the air healthy in your home.
- Mop- Mopping and vacuuming your home can make a huge difference to the look of your home.
- Disinfect and scrub toilet and shower–Scrub these regularly to avoid having to scrub off soap scum. If this builds up, it can be a pain to get rid of.
- Dust– Make sure you do this with a damp cloth. If you do this with a dry cloth it will only move the dust around. It won’t actually get rid of the dust.
- Throw away expired food- Don’t let old food go off in your fridge and compromise the health of everything else in your fridge.
- Wipe down your fridge-Wipe your fridge down to avoid food poisoning.
- Sanitise doorknobs, taps and light switches- These are touched constantly. Keep these disinfected to avoid germs from spreading.
- Take bins out for collection– Don’t forget to take your bins out for collection. You don’t want to let the rubbish pile up.
- Clean sinks– Don’t let food and grime build up in your bathroom and kitchen sinks.
- Wash and change bed linen–If you do daily washing you should already have clean linen at the ready to replace your bed sheets.
- Wipe down your cabinets and kitchen appliances– You will be surprised how much grease and dirt splashes onto these while cooking.
- Deep clean mirrors–This can make your whole bathroom look cleaner.
- Remove cobwebs-Not only will this look neater it will stop spiders from making your home their home.
Monthly (5-6 Hours per month)
Most people should be able to find 5 hours a month to do some home maintenance. If you don’t have a spare 5 hours in a whole month to keep your home clean I would do some serious re-scheduling.
- Clean windows-Outside and inside.
- Clean your blinds and curtains-These can get very dusty and heighten allergies and asthma.
- Clean your air duct and ceiling fans if necessary– You do not want dust being blown on you and your family.
- Clean your washing machine-This will keep your clothes clean too.
- Clean your shower head- Some people forget to do this. Think about it your the one that has to stand under it. You want it to be clean.
- Clean your microwave– A dirty microwave can be hazardous to your health.
- Clean oven if necessary– This will be an enormous pain in the ass to clean if you don’t clean it regularly.
- Clean walls and doors-People lean on these and touch them all the time. Clean walls will make your home look much more put together.
- Clean out and wipe pantry– Some people don’t even know what they have in their pantries. Make sure you’re throwing away any expired food.
- Wipe down cupboard interiors– This will keep everything in your cupboards clean.
- Clean out bathroom cupboards.-You don’t want your bathroom cupboards to be full of unused or empty products.
- Clean your bins–Disinfect your bins to get rid of bad smells and bacteria.
- Clean your range hood and it’s filters–The filters and range hood can get very greasy and dirty. If you keep this clean it will smell a lot better.
- Clean the top of your fridge- This can get neglected and as a result, can get incredibly dusty and dirty.
- Clean baseboards and windowsills– This is a great finishing touch.
What do you think? Let us know below how you keep your homes clean.